What I learned about Universally Designed Learning and ICTs

This is what I learned from my own exploration of what is on the study desk and what David recommended. What i learn from others is yet to come:) So expect part two.

Principles-

Multiple ways of presenting information

multiple ways of displaying knowledge and

multiple ways of interacting with information

Everyone is provided with the tools that will help some students and they are guided to make the right choices to help them learn best

Supports executive functioning

Idea is that no one needs “special support” everyone has it available

Resources made available will help every child to succeed regardless of their needs- there is something there for them

Examples-

Provide text readers (digital) where students can choose level of magnification, background colour, text colour, have it read to them etc they choose what works best for them http://aim.cast.org/experience/decision-making_tools/aim_explorer aim reader

Provide I pads for students to access  create and present work, load the app for your dyslexic child to speak instead of writing, but it is available to everyone

Provide special seat cushions or other arrangers for multiple children in the class even if only one child needs it consistently

It’s like wheel chair ramps, they are there, everyone can use them, if they’re no there the person lacking use of their legs now has a handicap because they weren’t provided for

Benefits- supports each student’s talents and intelligence with out singling anyone out, it is all available for anyone to choose

In the past teachers may have said you can present your learning in any way- but doing it as a song often meant playing it in front of the class where a written assignment didn’t subject you to that much scrutiny- with technology your song could be recorded and submitted digitally, just as much privacy as the student who wrote their assignment

If you want to try something out such as presenting learning as art- you can change what you’re making more easily, adaptable, less permanent, less scary to make mistakes therefore. ICTs allow this adaptability

Drawbacks-

More variation on assessment and work for teacher to monitor and try to assess objectively, more variation makes moderation harder i think

students may not choose what is right for them

some students may take the easy way out, rather than having to do what is difficult for them as least some of the time

Problems-

Too many choices sometimes leaves students floundering

Some students such as those with ADD do not thrive when they have lots of freedom, they lack impulse control and so often make poor choices, this may not support them the best- reference 2400 text- oneil and gish ch 12

Sequencing

As with other learning models, use a sequencing frame work such as blooms to guide you, UDL does not seem to have its own sequencing

I could use this information when on practical experience and in later teaching as something to think about when planning. Offer options where ever possible, so students can choose how they want to show their knowledge. So that all abilities are considered and catered for. If I have a student with disability, or even one who is not at the top of the class and has self esteem issues because of that… This might be a good method of building confidence and engaging them. It will aid me in my planning as I have bookmarked several sites with information about UDL and the use of ICTs. Digital resources seem to be quite commonly mentioned  in UDL sites and information.

One thought on “What I learned about Universally Designed Learning and ICTs

1. Pingback: Learning Pathways - More on UDL